Furnished holiday accommodation

Furnished holiday accommodation (FHA) is a classification that allows you to take advantage of favourable tax rates when you rent out your property for a holiday let. Here we explain the criteria needed to qualify.

Updated 19 July 2019

Furnished holiday accommodation (FHA) qualifying criteria

For tax purposes, to qualify as furnished holiday accommodation (FHA) the accommodation must be let on a commercial basis and comply with the following requirements:

The ‘relevant period’ is the tax year unless the accommodation was not let as holiday accommodation in the previous tax year. In that case it is the 12 months beginning on the first day in the tax year that it is let as furnished accommodation.

The consequence of property income being treated as derived from FHA are:

Income tax


Pension contributions

FHL profits are relevant earnings, qualifying for pension contributions.

Capital gains tax

The following are available:

Inheritance tax

Sometimes, the extent of the services supplied as part of the FHA will be sufficient for the business to qualify for 100% business property relief.


Rent from furnished lettings is subject to VAT at the standard rate if it is ‘holiday accommodation’, as defined for VAT. Note that this can include income that does not pass the FHA test.

For VAT purposes, holiday accommodation means accommodation in a building, caravan, houseboat or tent that is advertised or held out as holiday accommodation or as suitable for holiday or leisure use, but excluding hotel accommodation.

VAT registration is necessary if the rents from holiday accommodation, together with any other VATable supplies made by the landlord, exceed the registration threshold – £85,000 currently. If the landlord is already VAT registered, the rents will be within that registration. 

Note that this can include VATable property income that does not pass the income tax FHL test.

Business rates

A self-catering accommodation which is available for short-term lettings for more than 140 days in any given year, is subject to Business Rates, not council tax. Small Business Rates Relief may apply, to give exemption. See here for more details.

Here again the test differs from that for direct tax FHL treatment.


Specific advice should be obtained before taking action, or refraining from taking action, on any of the subjects covered above. If you would like advice or further information, please speak to your usual Shipleys contact.

Copyright © Shipleys LLP 2019

Current Issues

Women missing out on state pension

Thousands of women are thought to have been underpaid the state pension, thanks to a rule change in 2008 and computer errors.

Insolvency, Restructuring and Refinancing – IBSA Conference 2021

Shipleys is delighted to sponsor the International Business Structuring Association's (IBSA) Autumn conference, with Ben Bidnell joining the panel of expert speakers.
Autumnal leaves.

Pension freedom age to rise

The earliest age at which you can withdraw cash from a private pension, without facing tax penalties, is set to increase from 55 to 57 on 6 April 2028.